Category description elements - Categories, in addition to grouping jobs by similar scope and breadth, are used to to distinguish benefit - leave and retirement - eligibility.
Task-operational, category one
- Includes generally non-exempt roles.
- Includes team leads who primarily perform similar jobs to those on their teams.
- Performs assigned operational-administrative support tasks under direct supervision, working within defined parameters.
Functional-tactical, category two
- Applies critical thinking and knowledge for implementation of tactics.
- Includes supervisors who make independent decisions regarding the work of those they supervise, as well as exempt, individual-contributor level or functional-manager level roles — no direct reports.
- Involved in functional decision-making.
Tactical-managerial, category three
- Focuses on strategic operations in a specific operational area or function.
- Includes mid-level leader and high-level individual contributors.
- Interprets and administers complex guidelines — may not monitor budget.
- Manages and monitors budget within guidelines.
- Manages direct reports.
- Translates goals into implementation of tactics.
Strategic, category four
- Accountable for budget execution and financial results.
- Includes university management team.
- Responsible for implementing strategic vision and associated initiatives for the university.
- Operations in multiple, synergistic areas.
Leadership, category five
- Responsible for defining and establishing the vision, mission and strategic objectives of the university.
- Senior executive level positions typically reporting directly to the President’s Executive Committee.